Your shoulder is a complicated joint, and one which is used constantly throughout your everyday life. Because it is one of the most important joints to your everyday life, it is also one of the most common areas of the body to experience pain. And because you use it so frequently, the shoulders are one of the areas of the body that are most prone to having injuries progressing into chronic pain concerns. If you are suffering from shoulder pain, even just occasionally, it is important to stop in to avoid future chronic pain!
Why choose chiropractic care for shoulder pain?
Because the shoulder is a complicated joint, you will want a doctor that is trained to look for multiple potential causes of your pain, and is focused on addressing those underlying causes. Traditional medical doctors usually only look at the symptoms and will send you home with medications to treat the symptoms rather than addressing the underlying condition. To make matters worse, prescription pain medications are dangerous and become less effective at reducing pain as time progresses.
Make sure to schedule a free consultation if:
- You have shoulder pain persisting beyond a few days or reoccurring frequently (even if it seems to “fix itself”)
- You are unable to carry objects or use the arm
- You get shoulder pain during the night or while resting
- You suffer an injury that caused deformity of the joint, swelling or bruising
- You have an inability to raise your arm
What causes shoulder pain?
Because each type of shoulder injury has it's own treatment, it is important for our office to correctly diagnose how you injured your shoulder or what may be causing your pain. Common causes include:
- Direct Injury (injured during an activity like a sport, or during a fall)
- Repetitive Use (Regular use of the joint during sports, daily activities or hobbies will injure a joint over time)
- Referred Pain (Some internal organ injuries or injuries to other areas of the body can actually present as pain in the shoulder!)
Because determining the correct cause of your pain is so important, we may send you out to receive and MRI or x-ray of the area to ensure we are correctly treating the injury.
How do we treat shoulder pain?
The best treatment of shoulder pain depends entirely on the cause of the problem. So the first step will be determining what caused your pain! In our office that may mean we will refer you for x-rays or an MRI to determine the exact nature of your injury. Because shoulder pain can come from a number of sources (including referred pain from internal organs), our care plan may vary depending on your exact cause. Typically, we will use physical therapies in addition to chiropractic adjustments to help reduce your pain. Our end goal with shoulder pain is to avoid creating a dependence on dangerous painkillers and help you naturally heal so you can enjoy everyday life.
If someone you know is suffering from shoulder pain let us know and we will arrange for a complimentary consultation to address the symptoms. Don’t let someone you care about rely on dangerous painkillers or lose day-to-day enjoyment as a result of a totally fixable problem!